Sunday, May 16, 2010

Homo Heidelbergensis


















-The Homo Heidelbergensis are said to be direct ancestors of modern Homo Sapiens.
-Homo antecessor were likely a direct ancestor of Homo Sapiens living 750,000 years ago evolving into Homo Heidelbergensis appearing that have appeared in fossil record living roughly 600,000 to 250,000 years ago in various areas of Europe.
-The best evidence found for these hominids date between 400,000 and 500,000 years ago.
-Heidelbergensis stone tool technology was considerably close to that of the Acheulean tools used by Homo erectus
African Heidelbergensis the ancestor of humans while the European variety would be the ancestor of the Neanderthals.

Reflection
I thought that this article was interesting because it was about a different hominid that I have never heard about while in school. That is kind of the reason why I picked this article to read out of all other articles.
There isn’t really any special meaning behind this article, its pretty straight forward and to the point. It is kind of interesting to know we have a direct relative that lived over 250,000 years ago. I also find it a little bit weird that I have never heard about this type of hominid before. I mean I think when they teach you about the stone age in history class they should teach you about these hominids as well as other hominids instead of just Homo Habilis, Homo Erectus, Neanderthals, Australopithecus and so on. Anyway I’m glad I read this article it was very entertaining and some what different then other articles I’ve read

Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/h/homo_heidelbergensis.htm

Picture: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/prehistoric_life/tv_radio/wwcavemen/images/wwc_article_pop7.jpg

Citation: Wikepedia. "Homo Heidelbergensis." Science Daily: News & Articles in Science, Health, Environment & Technology. 9 May 2010. Web. 20 May 2010. .

No comments:

Post a Comment