Sunday, May 16, 2010

Live Evolution Witnessed In Controlled Environment Of Microbial Predator And Prey








• Under certain conditions, certain prey become resistant to it’s predator.
• Eventually the predator itself evolves so that it can attack this new prey.
• Scientists tried to recreate this concept using bacterium and a liquid medium.
• After the experiments were over the scientists found that the predator was only able to adapt to get to one of the prey, and the other remained untouched.
• Whatever makes prey resistant and predators capable of attacking them again remains weakly understood and relatively unclear.


Reflection:
I thought that this article was pretty interesting, but it was kind of hard to understand because it was very complex. Finding an arms race on these news websites was a lot harder than I thought it would be. But eventually I found this one and I decided to stick with it. What’s good about this article is that it really paints a mental picture of what’s going on, even if sometimes the picture was unclear. Next time I do a “science in the news, I’m going to try and pick an article that is less sophisticated, so it will suit me better and be easier for me to understand.

Link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090305150917.htm

Citation:CNRS (Délégation Paris Michel-Ange). "Live Evolution Witnessed In Controlled Environment Of Microbial Predator And Prey." ScienceDaily 10 March 2009. 16 May 2010 .

Picture:http://www.sciencedaily.com/images/2009/03/090305150917-thumb.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment